Working at Anthropologie brings me in contact with an interesting group of people. The women who shop in my store have careers and children and bohemian, eclectic styles but mostly they have money. A lot of money. Like 98$ for a striped t-shirt kind of money. And when they line up at the register to drop 700$ on candles, scarves and ruffled wool pencil skirts, it makes me wonder who they are and why they have this money. It has started a little game I play where I look around the store and wonder who the most interesting or famous person is: the shockingly attractive wisp of a girl trying on ten dresses, the middle-aged man wandering around after his well-heeled wife who is looking at glass ware, the frizzy-haired woman wearing rainbow tights and asking about buying the 3,000$ display cabinet? Who knows? Maybe I'm talking to an Australian real estate magnate or the daughter of a music legend or the inventor of some brilliant vaccine. It fascinates me to think about. Because if you shop for full price clothing at Anthropologie on a regular basis, you have the kind of money that I can't really comprehend, the kind of money that is limitless--which basically for me right now where money is very limiting is a land of make-believe. So everyone can be some kind of star, a little debutante or genius, a mogul or a legacy. You never know.

2 comments:

Nice title. It's funny, we wonder the same thing at the G-A-P, but on a much smaller scale. Makes $60 jeans all of a sudden seem like a really great deal :)

12:44 PM  

maybe you could ask someone, sometime! mom

5:17 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home