Fall Clothes

It's been looking like this in Portland these last couple weeks spurring a long rainy drive to Salem to find an apple orchard that doesn't seem to exist, a trip out to Sauvie island for pumpkin and gourd gathering, lots of throwing and jumping in piles of leaves in the front yard and for me, a flurry of fall sewing. I saw these pictures and decided my children must have wool pants and sun lit fields to romp through wearing them. 19$ a yard later, only Finn gets a pair and Henry will have to inherit them later and because I spent so much time on them, I'm feeling a little worried about the wear and tear a field might cause. But because I had a certain investment, I spent the time to make pockets and buttons and cuffs and topstitching and all sorts of little details I wouldn't normally waste my time with. And they turned out great. But then I put them on Finn and they were significantly too big requiring some taking in and altering that messed up some of the details. So a lot of work with a mediocre outcome. In this picture, Finn is wearing the pants and an orange t-shirt I made for fall, Henry is wearing a pair of red chino pants I made from a pair of goodwill pants in the spring and a sweater made from an Aunt meg hand-me-down. I didn't make either jacket but seriously right? Who can resist little kids in blazers? They couldn't care less that a certain number of hours went into the making of their clothing but it makes me feel good. Like I've accomplished something and have something to show for the day. Somedays I have little else.

Now I have to come up with something for Halloween. I wanted them to be Clue characters-Mr. Plum and Colonel Mustard maybe?--but I think that might be too involved and it might be creepy to have an 18month old carrying around a lead pipe and a rope.

5 comments:

I love their fall look! You've got some mad skills, Kate!

11:11 AM  

i love the new pants! you did a great job! mom

6:06 AM  

Amazing. Can Milo inherit anything/everything as Henry grows out of them...? And I don't know what they ended up being for Halloween, but I'm loving the Clue characters. If we ever get a bunch of the gang together, we should all pick a character, including the little munchkins :)

4:42 PM  

Hi, it's a very great blog.
I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
Keep doing!

4:28 AM  

hey nice blog keep it up http://www.travelandtourismworld.blogspot.com

9:54 AM  

Older Post Home