Having my sister Heather here has brought our life under inspection and been found loud, regimented and quite boring. She's right, really. There is almost always someone crying or screaming. We are always within an hour of someone needing a nap, a meal or a diaper change and because it takes longer to prepare for an outing than the actual outing takes, we stay home a lot. We are often amused-- like when Finn runs back and forth on the lanai with a tin plate serving Heather and me imaginary eggs, bacon and pickled herring like a harried waiter. Or when Henry skates around the baby gym on one foot until he inadvertently rams into Jake who turns and pushes him away only to be rammed again. Or when Finn sings at breakfast and gets both the little babies laughing hysterically. But then, mostly we are boring and we are tired.

I've set out to take control of the things we eat, making more from scratch and buying less packaging. This weekend I started with pureeing vegetables for baby food, and baking teething biscuits and bread. So far, other than the wallpaper paste consistency of the sweet potatoes, it's been a great success and I really enjoy it. I wrote Mandy an e-mail to tell her about the first week of the experiment and I realized as I typed out the message that both Mandy and I feel isolated and tied to routine, and we have both been trying to find ways to interrupt the routine, make something beautiful, have a personality separate from the duties we perform and have control over a part of our world. For me, I think portioning liquid green beans into labeled jars and pulling batches of dinner rolls and loaves of bread from the oven gives me that. It's still pretty boring but it has my stamp on it. It's loving and in a basic, practical way, it's important--which in a life that often seems like a constant maintenance, feels very good to me.

8 comments:

Oh my darling Kate! I love the Eliot reference, but have you made any friends in Hawaii?

Still missing you dreadfully,

8:14 PM  

Keeping making your stamp. Keep making things beautiful.

9:59 PM  

How do you make teething biscuits? You are going to have to share all these recipes for my future use!

2:11 AM  

Oh, and can someone explain the Eliot reference? I'm sure I'd appreciate it and, I know, it doesn't mean as much if you have to explain it, but humor me, your poorly read sister.

2:13 AM  

Do you have a hand grinder? Amanda had one for Chase and Natalie and everything they ate the kids ate from the hand grinder. It is small and fits in the diaper bag for restaurants. I'm so happy you are doing that so you can stay away from the fat cells with a memory and the additives they swear are not in there. Anyway you should look into that and if you can't find one let me know soon and I can ask Amanda for hers and Debbie can bring it.

9:20 AM  

The coffee spoon reference comes from Eliot's poem "The love song of J. Alfred Prufrock" and refers in some way to the trivialities that define our life...or for my purposes that is what it means.

You can read the whole poem here. http://www.bartleby.com/198/1.html Not exactly uplifting but his poems get a little more hopeful as he got older.

10:43 AM  

oh and teething biscuits can be made by slicing up any kind of dense bread-like a basic banana bread- and then rebaking it on low heat for about an hour until the strips are hard and crunchy like biscotti. I keep them in the freezer to keep them longer and the boys seem to like them cold.

And I don't have a hand grinder...

10:51 AM  

Kate, I am right there with you. Just started mashing up sweet potatoes etc. this week too! Now I want a grinder too.

12:10 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home