Dear Phil & Ted

I picture the two of you very vividly as hippy parent inventor extraordinaires: well tanned and with lovely accents (you are Australian after all), athletically thin (you make jogging strollers) and bearing the characteristic idiosyncrasies of both the modern progressive parent and the self made business men that you are (this part I'm just conjecturing). And with this image in my mind--a sort of boyscout meets crocodile dundee meets metrosexual dad of three with a Subaru forrester and a compost pile sort of image--I write you this letter of appreciation believing that it means something to you to hear it.

I love your strollers. I mean really. I really love your strollers.

I fancy myself a progressive parent in my own right, but more of the garage sale-ing, taking mass transit, carrying a canvas tote everywhere I go kind of progressive (see here-less money than your typical granola mom) so your stroller, with its hefty price tag and slightly yuppy looking exterior would normally not appeal to me. But here's the thing, the whole design of the double stroller that converts so simply for varying children in different stages and does so with such minimal bulk is really just so very brilliant. So brilliant in fact that when I first saw one of your strollers on a clandestined day at a Borders in Beaverton, I chased the man down who was pushing it and bombarded him with questions as he hastily tried to find his wife and make his escape. I actually followed him through the store marveling at the apple green stroller with his two toddler aged sons riding comfortably double decker as their father swiveled and maneuvered between narrow bookshelves and dawdling customers. I dropped my books on a table near the door, waved my husband down and followed this man with the stroller out the front door to continue my interview.

The very next day, I went to the store of his direction and found the vary same Phil&Ted's stroller parked just inside the front door. A week later, after much rationalizing and some financial fanangling, we took our own green apple stroller home. As it would happen, we found the last stroller of a certain shipment from your lovely company that had been specially priced so that the double kit came free. It seemed like a good omen.

Ever since, I have pushed my stroller proudly to all manner of events and places, through airports and MAX stations, festivals and carnivals, on dirt and on grass and on pavement. And it has been worth every penny we paid for it and more. I live in a lovely city where it rains unforgivably often and as a newcomer, I know very few people. It would be very easy for me to stay home with my newborn and two-year-old sons and mournfully look out the drizzly windows. But with the initial motivation of making sure I got my money's worth and then for the continued joy of being outside and finding the trails and playgrounds in an ever-broadening radius from our house, we use it all the time.

I realize this sounds like hyperbole. And to some extent I know it is hyperbole. We would live quite effectively with a less lovely stroller and in fact would probably continue to breathe without a stroller at all. But my point is, your design is useful to my life. I walk more often: to buy groceries for dinner, to send a birthday present, to get coffee and then play at the park. And if walking more isn't progressive, than I don't know what is.

Thank you for the ingenious design of your double jogging stroller. I believe I am a better mom for its convenience and comfort.

Very best,

Kate Rohl

PS. While I appreciate the stroller's jogging capacity, I should disclaim that I have not yet utilized it for actual jogging.

PPS: Your company might want to think seriously about issuing me some sort of commission structure as I am easily persuaded into conversations with perfect strangers about the brilliance of your strollers and then a subsequent demonstration of its function. I have also introduced the stroller to entirely new markets visiting friends in both Indiana and Arizona where you, Phil&Ted are not nearly as well represented as you are here in cutting edge Portland.

7 comments:

Dear Phil and Ted, I must concur with all my sister has written. I, have, in fact, used the stroller for jogging in beautiful Hawaii. It is wonderful! And, I believe I should be entitled to some of the commission that my hyperbolic sister will receive since I actually convinced her to buy the stroller after she accosted the man in the Borders. I just need some credit: I'm stuck in Texas unable to use my P&T stroller because my baby is in Hawaii with said stroller and I just want some credit, darnit! Ok, little tangent, sorry, P&T. I love your stroller, too. Sincerely, Mandy, who can't get a stupic Google identity.

2:16 PM  

Dear Phil&Ted,

"

John

8:16 PM  

Dear Phil and Ted,
first off, I must say that I don't understand John's comment of

-

No Comment, or maybe it a little jealousy, because I think John and Tanya are now the proud parents or two! congratulations!

Also, I am the grandmother of the afore mentioned double apple green double stroller, and it's cutest-of all little boys,except for Jakie of course! When we first saw the pics, I couldn't figure out how two little boys could possibly fit, let alone cohabitate such a small looking unit, but now that I have seen it in person, I'm here to tell you that it works, and very well. congrats on making every other double stroller look like a semi truck! grammie!

4:49 AM  

Dear, Hyperbolic Kate,

You are probably the only person in the world who could make a stroller sound exciting to me! Phil&Ted should pay you a hefty commission, for sure!

8:05 PM  

Dear Bob,
I am writing you for several reasons. First of all I want to apologize on behalf of my dear friend Kate. You must realize that Kate's letter wasn't meant to exclude you in any way. She is just speaking from her own experience thus far. Second, is that you may want to consider sending Kate (and Mandi) a free B.O.B. stroller (double for Kate, single for Mandi) so that they can do a little comparison and possibility accost people in your name as well. What is a higher compliment than that.

Also, I would like to ask for your forgiveness regarding a reoccurring incident involving your stroller. I confess I often find myself a bit embarrassed when I take your stroller on a casual evening stroll. You see, people look at me like I just wandered down from a mountain climb (might work in Portland, not in MN), as if I am lost and wandering on some pedestrian path looking for my way home (in the mountains). I will try to be more sensitive to all the hard work it took to make such a versatile product.

Finally, I would like to suggest that you connect with Bill and Ted. I think you would all have a lot to talk about.

Sincerely,
Jen

12:41 PM  

I meant MandY. Whoops.

Jen

12:42 PM  

who's bob? grammi

9:35 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home